Tag Archives: minoru

Minoru!

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

Pattern: Minoru Jacket by Sewaholic
Outer Fabric: 100% wool from a local garage sale
Lining: 100% Silk Habotai, dyed with Procion Dyes (details below)
Size: 6, graded to 0 in the waist and hips
Modifications: side seam pockets, patch pockets, and tab belt

This was supposed to be my fall jacket, but I didn’t finish it until late November, and I’m just posting it now. I’m so slow! I should really get started on some summer dresses while there’s still time…

Anyway, this is one of those projects that looks good from far away, but is all wonky up close. It was my first time sewing with silk, wool, and matching plaids (or checks? what would you call this stuff?). Silk is supposed to be the hardest fabric to sew with, and wool one of the easier fabrics, but these two were closely matched in difficulty. The wool kept shifting and growing, making it almost impossible to match up the plaids when I was cutting it out. And sewing in a straight line was pretty much impossible! I just had to keep going because seam-ripping seemed pointless.

I managed to get a fairly close plaid-matching on the side seams and hood, but I don’t think it’s possible to match both the front and back raglan seams, so those don’t match at all!

IMG_5086 (800x533)

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

I added a tab belt with buttons for more waist definition in the front, but now I’m not sure I like it. I think the buttons might be a tad too low, so I’m thinking of moving them up a bit, or just taking the whole thing off. What do you think?

tab detail

I also added side seam pockets to keep my hands warm.

Pocket detail

And patch pockets for the look and to hold my keys when I go for a walk.

pocket

I placed the patch pockets too low, creating a bit of a problem with the hem. I had to stitch a bit lower so I wouldn’t sew right through the pocket. Actually, at first I didn’t notice, and I did sew right through the pocket. Oops.

hem

I made the inner pockets out of silk because I was worried the wool would be too scratchy, but it probably wouldn’t have made a difference. And silk is definitely hard to sew in a straight line! So much wonkiness…

lining

lining

The Dyeing Process

Silk Dyeing Attempt

For the lining, I decided I wanted to try dyeing with food colouring. I’ve experimented with wool and it worked, so I thought the protein fibres in silk would work the same way. Turns out that’s not true, and if I’d bothered to google it before trying, I would have saved the house from being turned into a vinegar steam bath.  It felt like a prehistoric swamp. I was so happy with the colour, but it all just washed down the drain. Unfortunately, not enough to be able to salvage the silk, so I ordered some more habotai from Dharma and tried again with Procion Dyes. The colours shift on silk, so it came out a lot brighter than I wanted, but after the first disaster, I was just happy it wasn’t bleeding, so I decided to go ahead and sew it.

The wool outer fabric I got at a garage sale last year for practically nothing. I also got a pile of other fabric, and had fun burn-testing them all for fibre content!

I absolutely love the pattern (very easy to follow instructions, especially with the sew-along) and I plan to make another Minoru for spring – in an easier to sew cotton next time!

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

Sewaholic Minoru Jacket

I’ve been a busy little elf!

It’s been a while! I spent most of December making Christmas presents, and then the holidays were so busy I didn’t even have time to keep up on reading blogs, let alone posting. I have a bit of a backlog of year-end posts to read – it’s so fun to see all the outfits everyone’s made over the last year! I guess it’s a bit late to do one myself, plus I don’t think I have enough finished garments to pick 5 hits and 5 misses.

Anyway, here are the products of my labour for December:

Softies Only a Mother Could Love

Creatures made of various cotton scraps and organic cotton waffle knit. Pattern from More Softies Only a Mother Could Love. These were for my two one-year-old nieces. They enjoy chewing on the ears.

Softies Only a Mother Could Love

Alien giraffes made out of more scraps and some wool felt. Pattern from Softies Only a Mother Could Love. These were for my two four-year-old nieces.

I love how cute these toys turned out, but they were so fiddly to make. Turning the bodies right side out was a bit of a nightmare. If I ever make toys again, they will have to be giant!

IMG_4920 (800x533)

A camera strap cover with pocket for the lens cap. The wave texture on top is from this tutorial.

IMG_4928 (800x533)

A hat and some fingerless gloves. The hat pattern is a variation of Jared Flood’s Turn a Square.

Softies Only a Mother Could Love

Time for some selfish sewing! And, yes, that’s a Minoru in the background 🙂 Post coming soon! Along with several other FOs I need to take pictures of. Happy New Year!