This pattern is back again already! I’ve been wearing my first version a lot for Me-Made-May, so I decided to make a second one right away. Plus, it’s part of my Wardrobe Architect plans, so it’s practical 😉
I love the watercolour effect of this print. Pale orange and peach are not my best colours, but it’s just so pretty that I had to make a summer dress! It reminds me of my favourite dress that I had when I was three, my “bubble dress”, that had rainbow coloured bubbles all over it. This dress just makes me happy when I put it on!
I did french seams throughout because I love the clean finish, but I didn’t bother with print matching at all – I just don’t enjoy that like some people do!
This yarn is so soft and has a gorgeous silvery sheen with warm golden tones to it when it catches the light. The pattern turned out more-or-less how I envisioned it: a bit slouchy and casual, but still a bit dressy too. It goes with pretty much everything, so it’s the perfect topper for spring and summer dresses on cooler mornings and evenings.
I think this is my favourite sweater ever. It’s so warm and cozy. I’m always cold, and this sweater makes winter almost bearable. I’ve worn it every day since I finished it last week, and I’m dreading the day when it needs to be washed!
The construction is seamless from the top down with cables running along the raglan sleeves, and joining up at the side seams.
Not much else to say about this one except that I want to make another!
Everything I “invent” already exists. Does that ever happen to you? First my seamless cast-on for toe-up socks that turned out to be almost identical to the Turkish cast-on (which has existed for a very, very long time), and now my seamless, top-down cardigan with no picked-up stitches at the set-in sleeves apparently already exists. My method is slightly different, but not enough to call it original. Anyway, here is the finished product:
The basic idea is to start at the shoulders where there would normally be a seam and do a seamless (Turkish) cast-on, then knit the back, sleeve, and front at the same time, increasing for the sleeve. Each shoulder is started separately, then joined together to continue down the rest of the sweater. Here’s a diagram that hopefully will make more sense:
This was my first attempt, so there are a few things I would change for next time. First, the sleeve tops were not actually supposed to be gathered, but I was so worried the increases wouldn’t be enough that I did a lot of them. Next time I’ll distribute the increases more evenly around the sleeve. The other major thing is shoulder slope. I avoided this on purpose because it added an extra layer of complication and I wasn’t sure I could handle it on my first attempt (plus I have straight/broad shoulders, so I don’t need much shaping there anyway). Next time I’ll add in some shoulder sloping which will hopefully draw less attention to the broad shoulders. Also, I probably should have started the sleeve decreases a little earlier, just after the elbow.
A simple eyelet detail
I did a simple eyelet detail along each side of the button band because the construction was complicated enough to figure out! This was my first time doing twisted rib, and although I love how it looks, it took forever – I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort. My button spacing looks a bit wonky, too!
The yarn is organic undyed merino and the buttons are tagua nut. Ravelry notes here. Anyway, at least this sweater will go with everything – it’s a basic that fills a gaping hole in my wardrobe!