I almost didn’t post this (who wants pictures of themselves in leggings all over the internet?), but there aren’t very many reviews of this pattern, so I decided to just do it and crop out my face – that makes it okay, right? 😉
First of all, let me just say that leggings are not the “easiest thing you can sew” as some people claim. This was an epic fit battle that started with me trying to draft my own pattern following various tutorials online. There was bunching and pulling and pinching of all kinds, and it wasn’t pretty. I had no idea leggings could actually be more uncomfortable than pants, but I managed to make some that were!
As one last shot, I decided to try Papercut’s Ooh La Leggings, and they fit (almost) perfectly right out of the envelope! I was ecstatic! For my first pair (navy, below), I used 100% organic cotton interlock with no stretch and they were just right. I was worried they would be too big since some other reviewers mentioned that, but I guess fabric choice has a lot to do with it. I was also expecting them to be too high around the waist, and extra loose there because of the positive ease (weird for leggings), but the top is almost 3″ below my natural waist, which cancels out the extra fabric because it sits on my hips. So I guess I was just lucky those factors happened to cancel out on me! Also, I didn’t find them too long like some people mentioned, but this could be because my fabric is not vertically stretchy. I’m 5’7″ by the way.
The only things I changed for my second pair were to take out a tiny bit of the front sides to make the side seam more vertical (it was leaning toward the back), and I lowered the front by 1″ to make it level with the back). Modifications pictured below. I made the second pair out of 100% wool interlock (again, no stretch) from Nature’s Fabrics. Described as “taupe”, but in reality the colour kind of reminds me of a hundred-year-old teddy bear – not a pretty brown. But at least they’re warm!
Okay, time for pictures. I hope this helps someone who might be thinking of making these! Sorry for the VPL. I made size XXS, which matched my measurements, and I used a twin needle to top-stitch all the seams.