I finished this dress almost two weeks ago, but I was so busy finishing up my two Laurels that I just didn’t have time to post about it. The Cambie is the dress that got me interested in sewing again. When I saw Tasia’s red eyelet version of the dress, and all of the super-clear tutorials she has at Sewaholic, I just knew I had to give sewing another try.
It’s especially fitting that I used a fabric that I bought several years ago to make a summer halter dress (Marilyn Monroe style), but the pattern (Vogue) was so ginormous and I had no idea how to fix the bust on the muslin (I don’t know anyone in real life who sews), so I gave up and vowed never to sew again. But the fabric was so lovely I just couldn’t get rid of it. I had visions of dancing barefoot in a meadow. Or going to a garden party. It didn’t matter that those things never happen in real life.
So I was pretty nervous about the fit when I started this one, especially since Sewaholic patterns are designed for pear shapes, and I’m not at all pear shaped. I cut a 6 on top and a 0 from the waist down according to my measurements, and it actually fits! No other adjustments necessary. I couldn’t believe it. I’m glad I made this one before the Laurels because I had to make lots of adjustments to that pattern to make it fit even though my measurements match the size chart almost exactly. I guess Colette patterns are for shorter torsos and Sewaholic patterns are for longer ones? I’m not sure. I’m just glad the Cambie fits because I love this dress so much!
Pattern: Cambie by Sewaholic, view B
Fabric: Cotton from Fabricland (of all places!), lined with the same fabric in the bodice and organic cotton voile in the skirt from Organic Cotton Plus
Size: 6 on top, 0 from waist down
Modifications: Added a couple of inches to the hem, but I forgot to write down how many
I had to omit the pockets because I didn’t have enough of the print to match at three seams, and matching one seam at the back was hard enough!
Just as I was finishing up the dress, I noticed a tear on the side of the bust! So upsetting. I don’t even know how it happened. I’ve stitched it up so it doesn’t get any bigger, but it doesn’t look so good. I’m thinking of adding a flower from my leftover scraps to cover the hole.
There will definitely be many more Cambies to come. It’s the perfect summer dress! Now I just need to find some garden parties or meadows…
In other news, Me-Made-May is here! I don’t have many items yet since I just started sewing a month ago, but I’m going to participate anyway! I figure 3 days a week should be manageable (I hope!) so here’s my pledge:
‘I, Chantal of A Handmade Wardrobe, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’13. I endeavour to wear a self-made garment three times a week for the duration of May 2013’
It’s going to be fun!